1 at risk of or subject to experiencing something usually unpleasant; "he is apt to lose"; "she is liable to forget" [syn: apt(p), liable(p)]
2 mentally quick and resourceful; "an apt pupil"; "you are a clever man...you reason well and your wit is bold"-Bram Stoker [syn: clever]
3 (usually followed by `to') naturally disposed toward; "he is apt to ignore matters he considers unimportant"; "I am not minded to answer any questions" [syn: apt(p), disposed(p), given(p), minded(p), tending(p)]
4 being of striking appropriateness and pertinence; "the successful copywriter is a master of apposite and evocative verbal images"; "an apt reply" [syn: apposite, appropriate, pertinent]
EtymologyFrom apte < aptus, from obsolete apere, "to fasten, to join, to fit", akin to apisci "to reach, attain": compare with Greek ἅπτειν (haptīn) "to fasten" and Sanskrit आप्त (āpta) "fit", from आप् (āp) "to reach, attain".
- Rhymes with: -æpt
- Fit or fitted; suited; suitable; appropriate.
- Tonight there’s a full moon, which is apt, since the election night will bring out the lunatics.
- Having a habitual tendency; habitually liable or likely;
disposed towards—used of persons or things.
- This tree, if unprotected, is apt to be stripped of its leaves by a leaf-cutting ant.
- Ready; especially fitted or qualified (to do something); quick
to learn; prompt; expert; as, a pupil apt to learn; an apt scholar.
- An apt wit. —Johnson.
- (Although I) live a thousand years, I shall not find myself so apt to die. —Shakespeare
- An apt wit. —Johnson.
Fit or fitted; suited; suitable; appropriate
Having an habitual tendency; habitually liable or likely; disposed towards
- German: geneigt
Ready; especially fitted or qualified (to do something); quick to learn; prompt; expert
APT or Apt may refer to:
- Animation Photo Transfer, a process whereby photography is used in the production of celluloids
- Applied Photon Technology, a California-based manufacturer of arc and flash lamp discharge devices
- Atom-Probe Tomography, an atomic-resolution microscopy technique
- Attached Proton Test, a technique used in Carbon-13 NMR spectroscopy
- Automatic Picture Transmission, a weather satellite system
- Automatic self-cleaning Public Toilet, a self-cleaning public toilet
- APT (programming language), a high-level computer programming language
- Advanced Packaging Tool, Debian's high-level package management system, also used by other Linux distributions
- Almost Plain Text, a wiki-like syntax used by Apache Maven
- annotation processing tool, a utility for executing annotation processors in the Java programming language
- Apartment, a self-contained housing unit that occupies only part of a building
- APT (film), a 2006 South Korean horror film
- Apt meteorite of 1803, which fell in Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France (see Meteorite falls)
- Appointment, Promotion, Tenure, a set of policies and procedures used by a university or college to determine rank or advancement for faculty
- Arbitrage pricing theory, a financial modeling theory
apt in German: APT
apt in Spanish: APT
apt in French: APT
apt in Korean: APT
apt in Italian: APT
apt in Dutch: APT
apt in Portuguese: APT
apt in Finnish: APT
apt in Swedish: APT
apt in Chinese: Apt
Daedalian, a propos, ad rem, adapted, adept, adroit, alert, applicable, apposite, appropriate, apropos, artistic, authoritative, becoming, befitting, bent, brainy, bravura, bright, brilliant, clean, clever, comely, compelling, convincing, coordinated, correct, crack, crackerjack, cunning, cute, daedal, decisive, deft, dexterous, dextrous, diplomatic, disposed, dispositioned, docile, dovetailing, educable, exact, excellent, expeditious, expert, facile, fair, fancy, felicitous, fit, fitted, fitting, foreseeable, formable, geared, gifted, given, good, goodish, graceful, handy, happy, hopeful, immediate, impressionable, in the cards, in the mood, inclined, ingenious, inspired, instant, instantaneous, instructable, intelligent, just, just right, keen, keen-witted, liable, likely, magisterial, malleable, masterful, masterly, meet, meshing, minded, moldable, motivated, neat, nice, nimble, nimble-witted, no dumbbell, no mean, not born yesterday, odds-on, on the button, opportune, pat, pertinent, plastic, pliable, politic, precise, predictable, predictable within limits, predisposed, presumable, presumptive, probable, professional, proficient, promising, prompt, prone, proper, punctual, qualified, quick, quick-thinking, quick-witted, quite some, ready, receptive, relevant, resourceful, right, ripe for instruction, schoolable, scintillating, seasonable, seemly, sharp, sharp-witted, skillful, slick, smart, some, sortable, speedy, statesmanlike, statistically probable, steel-trap, stylish, suitable, suited, suiting, summary, susceptible, swift, tactful, tailored, talented, teachable, telling, the compleat, the complete, thirsty for knowledge, to the point, to the purpose, trainable, verisimilar, virtuoso, well-chosen, well-done, well-expressed, well-put, willing, workmanlike